Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Big Hurdle Passed

I've been quiet for a few days because I had to prepare for a meeting today with the program chair and three directors to go over my plans for my games course. I presented my syllabus, about half of which is developed and the rest skeletal. (More about that in a future post.)

I'll cut to the chase: They loved the course and fully approved of the content. What a relief!

They had some valuable suggestions on how to reorder some of the units to create thematic consistency with the previous courses in the series. The chair suggested I return to the syllabus some topics that I forgot to include or removed because of time constraints. One embarrassing example: games and gender. Oops. I have a collection of articles and ideas pertaining to that topic. More cross-cultural examples, they said. OK, easily done.

I wish I had the energy to write more, but I need to take a nap right now. I'm fighting a nasty cold that just won't go away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger,
Let me add my voice to the other scholarly folk who are posting their interest and support (hello Stew, Scott).

I wanted to let you know that the Pop Culture Association/American Culture Association conference happening next month in SF (it's a ways north of you, but still) has a number of panels devoted to games. Mostly the kind that, as Stew mentions, become useless when the lights go out, but I know that a couple of people there (Josh Call comes to mind) are interested in games on tabletops.

And before I go, I'd like to add my voice to those interested in seeing your syllabus.

James

Kim Gregson said...

Congratulations! Loved your post about the admistrator's skepticism. I'm helping design a major on videogame design and want to include a lot of traditional game playing and people just look at me like i'm a kook.

Keep us posted on how your syllabus develops - what kinds of readings are you using with freshmen (she slefishly asks - ha ha)

Again - way to go - bring in the dice, bring in the fun!

Roger Ngim said...

James, thanks for the tip about the conference in SF. I'll check it out. I'm originally from the Bay Area, so any excuse to visit is welcome, and this sounds like a good one.

Kim, I'm curious what kinds of non-technical requirements will be part of your video game design major.